Amazing but true!!! ~ World Amazing Information, Facts & News

Amazing but true!!!

Posted by Rahul Doshi | 8/05/2006 05:49:00 PM | 55 comments »

*Have a look......things you may not know....*

*1. Coca-Cola was originally green.*

*2. The most common name in the world is Mohammed.*

*3. The name of the entire continents end with the same letterthat they start with.*

*4. The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.*

*5. There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.*

*6. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using theletters on one row of the keyboard.*

*7. Women blink nearly twice as much as men!*

*8. You can't kill yourself by holding your breath.*

*9. It is impossible to lick your elbow.*

*10. People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze,your heart stops for a millisecond.*

*11. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.*

*12. The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be thetoughest tongue twister in the English language.*

*13. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try tosuppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neckand die.*

*14. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents great king from history.*
>Spades - King David
>Clubs - Alexander the Great
>Hearts - Charlemagne
>Diamonds - Julius Caesar.

*15. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 (count out the answer)*

*16. If a statue of a person in the park on a horse has both front legsin the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a resultof wounds received in battle. If the horse has a all four legs on the ground, the person died of naturalcauses.*

*17 What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers andlaser printers all have in common?Answer - All invented by women.*

*18. Question - This is the only food that doesn't spoil. What is this?Answer - Honey*

*19. A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.*

*20. A snail can sleep for three years.*

*21. All polar bears are left handed.*

*22. American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olivefrom each salad served in first-class.*

*23. Butterflies taste with their feet.*

*24.Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.*

*25.In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.*

*26. On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.*

*27. Shakespeare invented the words 'assassination' and 'bump'.*

*28. Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand.*

*29. An ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.*

*30. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.*
*31. The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps o squirtblood 30 feet.*

*32. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could haveover a million descendants.*

*33. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria inyour ear by 700 times.*

*34. The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.*

*35. Most lipstick contains fish scales.*

*36. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.*

*37. And finally 99% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow.* (Am I right? If so, reply back)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

55 comments

1. Logan // October 11, 2008 11:18 PM

I can lick my elbow! :)

Nice, there's some here I haven't seen before.

2. Debbie // October 12, 2008 9:51 PM

the one about the statues with horses is an myth

and yupp i tried to lick my elbow

3. Kevin // October 13, 2008 1:24 AM

I didn't try to lick mine, but just because I know I can't because I've tried it before. I loved fact 14 and 16. Keep up the good word!

4. Roland // October 13, 2008 1:31 AM

I can lick my elbows, depends on how long your tendants (sp) stretch I guess

5. Sophia // October 13, 2008 1:40 AM

I can lick my elbow, too :)

6. Caleb // October 13, 2008 2:28 AM

I heard people say "bless you" because in the dark ages, if you sneezed it could mean that you might die.

7. Franzelot // October 13, 2008 3:07 AM

10... here in Austria we say "Gesundheit", if someone sneezes. I think, this is more or less the same therm than "bless you". But Gesundheit comes definitely not from some kind of "heart stoping"... People startet to say this because of the plague. It meant something like "i hope you didn't get it, but stay out of my way"
    So in these times, it was more rude than polite to say it.
    (sry, if this is bad English, i usually speak german ;))

8. jonathan // October 13, 2008 3:14 AM

I was going to try to lick my elbow, but then I realized that I'm in public and didn't want to embaress myself that much. :P

9. jalal // October 13, 2008 3:53 AM

hahahaha, i like the last one.

intresting enjoy it too much :)

10. FireSketch // October 13, 2008 3:57 AM

I tried to lick my elbow and hit myself in the face. Twice.

11. Jay // October 13, 2008 4:16 AM

You are correct. I tried and couldn't!! :) Great post! Thanks for it.

Jeannette
    British Columbia, Canada

12. Erin // October 13, 2008 5:20 AM

both my friend and i did not feel the need to try to lick our elbows after we read this.

13. Ben // October 13, 2008 5:49 AM

14. Leigh // October 13, 2008 6:44 AM

I can lick my elbow too...
    And #10 is wrong. The reason why people say "Bless you" is because in Medieval times, when you sneezed they thought your soul was trying to escape so by saying bless you, it shoved it back in.

15. Lithomaniac // October 13, 2008 7:22 AM

people say bless you because in medieval times it was said that sneezing was a release of the demons held in the body. get it straight.

16. Michael // October 13, 2008 7:31 AM

licking your elbow isn't physically impossible. its hard to do but is ultimately doable.

17. rynn // October 13, 2008 8:00 AM

people who are double jointed in their arms can lick their own elbows, oh and also people with prostetic arms as well lol. and i would like to see your proof on number i think 16 the one about the horse statues

18. alex // October 13, 2008 11:27 PM

your heart doesn't stop when you sneeze. Actually, a powerful positive pressure condition is created in the chest. That can change the rhythm of the heart rate, but it will not stop it. A full answer can be found at: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar98/890925984.An.r.html

19. Erin Lea // October 14, 2008 1:32 AM

#3 is incorrect. "North America" and "South America" Do not start and end with the same letters. "America" does, obviously, but that is not the name of the continent.

20. OzoneAvenger // October 14, 2008 2:34 AM

I didn't even attempt to lick my elbow...

And your heart doesn't stop when you sneeze... That's a myth.

21. bala // October 14, 2008 4:19 AM

you're right man i tried

22. Solowing // October 14, 2008 9:06 AM

didn't try to lick my elbow.

23. Jan // October 14, 2008 8:08 PM

I didnt try to lick my elbow. I tried it many times before, and was never successful, and i'm also too tired to bother :D
    anyways, interesting facts :D

24. ola martin // November 18, 2008 4:43 AM

Nice list, some of them are not true but nice anyways... (did not lick my elbow as i have tried before, and failed)

Ben wrote:
    "Number 28: If you capitalize the S in Stewardesses, you would need your right hand to use the shift key, thus the proper word is 'stewardesses'"

Is there any reason one can't use the left shift key i don't know of?

25. Francesca // November 18, 2008 6:15 AM

I thought that the facts were very cool. But you really REALLY need to spell check. :/

26. Nick // November 24, 2008 8:09 AM

Hrmmm ... isn't there a movie coming out now that claims it's a true story and is about a MAN who invented the windshield wiper? (Robert Kearns, "Flash of Genius" ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1054588/ ) Which means either the movie lies or this list lies ... I'm just sayin' =P

27. gm71857 // November 25, 2008 10:27 PM

um.... actually i know someone who can lick their elbow. i will try and get a video on it and put it up here.

28. maestro // November 26, 2008 1:00 AM

10 and 13 are just plain wrong, but 16 is a common misconception

29. rene // November 26, 2008 2:28 AM

# 3 is false: Oceania ?????

30. brandon // November 26, 2008 8:43 PM

Oceania is an area, not a continent. a continent really means "large island" and Australia is the one that fits.

the tongue is strongest by mass. obviously you cant bench press with your tongue, because its small.

people say "bless you" because the word in the bible used to say God breathed life into man is the same as sneeze. so by sneezing you remind someone of their life. thus, you say "bless you" in thanks.
    duh.
    everyone knows that.

"24.Elephants are the only animals that can't jump"
    they are the only ones with KNEES that cant jump.

31. Milly // December 09, 2008 8:04 AM

I really can lick my elbow :D

people always try and bend their elbows and then extended their tongue looking like idiots.
    Take you arm and push it back towards you shoulder then try, granted you still have to be flexible but it works for me :]

32. philippe // December 18, 2008 7:54 PM

This list is bull.

At no point does your heart stop/pause when you sneeze.

Coca-Cola has never, at any point, been green.

It is possible to lick your elbow.

The number of hooves lifted into the air on an equestrian statue doesn't indicate how the person died.

The kinds in a deck of card do no represent Charlemagne, David, Caesar or Alexander...

*sigh* I wish people would check their facts (or Snopes) before posting stuff like this.

33. Sarah // January 10, 2009 4:12 PM

lol i tried but definitely can't lick it. also tried tongue twister too, not that hard...

34. Costy // January 11, 2009 7:48 PM

The one about horses hooves in the air was covered on QI: "This is a myth". If Stephen Fry says its not true then it can't be ;)

35. madhwesh // January 29, 2009 4:16 PM

ya man ur true I tried to lick my elbow ....

36. lewis // April 21, 2009 9:15 AM

i already knew all of these.

some of them aren't true (ie #4(its strongest RELATIVE TO SIZE), #9, #18(twinkies also dont spoil. look it up!) and #21 (all FEMALE polar bears).

try and find less well known "unknown facts"

37. Akolyte01 // May 15, 2009 4:07 AM

Wow, another list of "facts" where virtually all of them aren't true!

I'm fucking tired of these. CHECK THESE for fuck's sake.

38. spense // May 18, 2009 2:36 AM

I tried to lick my eldow, and failed.

39. Cosmos // May 26, 2009 11:58 AM

The horse thing is not, actually, a myth, it simply isn't true for any statue outside of Europe.

And even then, the tradition ceased after the First World War.

The origins of "Bless you!" is actually completely unknown.

The continent thing is misleading, as all it really means is "asia, africa, america, europe, antarctica and australia start and end with the same letter".

@ Nick

That movie is about a specific type of windshield wiper, not the wiper itself.

@ lewis

Twinkies spoil.
    It's cake. It lasts three months, tops.

And 35 is wrong, too. Lipstick is entirely artificial now.

40. Anonymous // May 26, 2009 7:18 PM

10, 13, and 16 are definitely false.

For example, people say "Bless you" because it was once thought that your soul left your body when you sneezed. Some religious people are foolish enough to still believe this. But, if you can buy into any religion, you'll believe anything, no matter how ridiculous.

41. neednotknow // June 12, 2009 1:46 AM

i can lick my elbow and so can several of my friends XD double jointed. anyway nice... ive not seen this post in a couple yrs.

42. Isaac // June 20, 2009 9:54 PM

@Nick:

The movie is about Robert Kearns, who invented the *intermittent* windshield wiper. The concept of a windshield wiper was invented a long time ago. The movie (and book) is about his struggle to get the courts to award money because the big auto companies used the intermittent windshield wiper circuit without his permission and without compensating him.

43. macboy12472 // June 24, 2009 8:38 PM

Lots of these are false. like number 16. if you've watched a show called QI, they do a lot of stuff on these.

44. Leah // July 08, 2009 8:58 AM

I don't think the cigarette lighter was invented before matches....

45. Karlin // July 23, 2009 5:29 AM

Honey is not the only food that doesn't spoil, camel's milk does not curdle.

46. Sam // September 01, 2009 3:46 PM

I would like to make a correction to number 12.

The toughest tongue twister in the English language is:

"No Officer, I have not had anything to drink tonight"

47. Ryan // December 08, 2009 7:07 PM

People say Bless you because of the Black Death and when you sneezed it meant you were sick and going to die.

48. Gaeuvyen // January 23, 2010 6:46 PM

The laser printer was no invented by a women, it was invented by Gary Starkweather while working at XEROX in the 70's. The inventor of the windshield wiper was technically two people, however a women invented it in the US and he design is the one we still use today. Most of the things on this list is false.

49. Publicola // April 21, 2010 10:30 PM

Most of these "facts" are untrue. as pointed in many of the comments before my own. Windshield wipers were definitely invented by a man. as was the modern bullet proof vest. Also 27 is true but he invented way more than just those two words.

50. Katherine Lee // November 10, 2010 2:34 PM

I laughed out! haha, I really lick my elbow earlier... XD

51. Bryan // November 16, 2010 6:38 AM

Philippe - Coca-Cola is green before food colouring is added.

Lewis - Twinkies do spoil. They last about a month or so depending on how you store them.

It is possible to lick your elbow if you are double jointed.

People say belss you because when the plague was around sneexing meant you were about to die

The statue one is a load.

Elephants are the only MAMMALS that can't jump.

Stewardesses can be typed capitalized with the left hand.

All Polar bears are ambidextrous not left handed. People just think they're left handed because you tend to notice someone using their left hand more than you notice someone using their right

52. Conor // June 17, 2011 3:52 AM

25, 10, 9, 5, and 1 are all false.

1. Coca-Cola was never green. (That is, it was never sold green.) The original recipe called for caramel to give it the rich brown colour.

5. I suppose this may be true statistically, but I highly doubt everyone in the US has two credit cards. Impoverished people, and children are what come to mind.

9. You can if you're double jointed.

10. The original reason was because of a superstition that when you sneeze, your soul was expelled from your body. (Which was also the reason people originally covered their mouths when they sneezed.) That started way before the plague.

25. Foxes have been domesticated in Russia and other countries.

A lot of the other ones are wrong, too.

53. Firefoot // June 25, 2011 10:00 AM

I've read a whole page of comments, and only ONE person has mentioned that #3 is wrong.

Last one is pulled right out of thin air too.

54. joszways // January 25, 2012 12:49 AM

lol i liked this didnt try to lick my elbow tho didnt even think bout it that much

55. bookworm // July 17, 2013 9:56 AM

Shakespeare actually invented over 3000 words i the english language and came up with terms such as "in a pickle" and "dead as a doornail"